When Pumps Get a Mind of Their Own

Love it! I’ve had one pump act like it was in a ballet until I tightened a couple of connections. Funny how they can both scare and amuse us, right?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌⁠​⁠​⁠‌⁠‌​​⁠‌⁠‌⁠​⁠‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍‌​‌‍‌​⁠‌‌​‌​‌‌‌‍‌​​⁠‌​⁠⁠​⁠‌​‌​‍⁠‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

It’s wild how just a bit of attention can turn things around. I had a similar situation with a centrifugal pump last summer; it was more stubborn than a toddler! Sometimes, those seals can really make a huge difference. Ever think about keeping spares for quick fixes?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​​‌‍​⁠​⁠‌‌‌‍‍​‌⁠‌‍​⁠​​‌‍⁠‍‌‍⁠‌​‍⁠‌‌‌‌‌‌⁠‌​‌‌⁠⁠‌​⁠⁠‌‌‍​‌⁠‌‌‌‍‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

I’ve definitely seen pumps get a bit funky, like yours doing the cha-cha! I had one that just needed a simple air bleed to get back to work. Always worth checking if it’s just filled with air instead of water — did you try that?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‍‌​⁠‍​​⁠‍​‌⁠​‌‌‍‍⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌​‍⁠​⁠‌⁠​⁠​‍​‍⁠‌‌‍‍‍‌‌​‍‌‍⁠‌‌‍‍⁠‌‌​​‌‍​⁠​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

, those pumps really can be dramatic! I’ve had a similar issue where a stuck check valve was the culprit. It’s wild how a $10 part can save you from a ton of headaches. Have you thought about keeping a spare for those emergency dance parties?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​⁠⁠‌⁠‍‌‌‍‍‍‌​⁠‍‌​‌​​⁠​‍‌⁠‌‌​⁠‍​​⁠‍​‌⁠‍​‌‍‍⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌​‍​‌‌‍​‌‍‍‍‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

Sounds like you had a real showstopper on your hands! I’ve found that sometimes just reseating the power connections can keep those dance moves from happening again. Have you tried that out yet, @mia51?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠‌​‌‌​​‌‍⁠​​⁠‌⁠‌‍⁠‍‌‍⁠​‌⁠‌⁠​⁠​‍‌⁠‌‍‌‍‍⁠‌‌​​‌‌​‌‌​‌‌​⁠‌⁠​⁠‌⁠‌​⁠‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

I’ve definitely had my share of squirmy pumps! Once, I tightened the connections and it stopped its little jig. I’ve found that even a simple test on the power supply can save a lot of headache later — ever checked yours? @martin48.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‍‍‌⁠‌​‌​‍​‌​‌‌‌‍⁠‌‌​⁠‌​⁠​‌‌‌​‌‌‌‌​‌⁠‌‌‌⁠‌​‌⁠‌‌‌​​‌‌​‍⁠​⁠‌​‌‌‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

I’ve definitely seen pumps pull some wild moves! Sometimes it’s just a matter of checking the settings or ensuring the intake’s clear. Ever thought about giving yours a little dance-off with a diagnostic tool?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‍‍​⁠‌​‌‌‌‌‌‌‌⁠​⁠‌‌‌​‌⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍‍‍‌​​⁠​⁠‌​​⁠‍‌‌‌​⁠​‍⁠‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌‌‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

I’ve definitely seen some wild pump performances too — sometimes, just a tiny air leak can send them into a spin… @mia51, have you ever checked the suction line for leaks before diving deeper?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​⁠‌‌‌‍‌​​‌​⁠​‌‌​​⁠​⁠‌⁠‌⁠‍‍‌​​⁠‌⁠‍‌‌⁠​‌‌​‌​‌‍‍‌‌​⁠⁠‌⁠‌‍‌‍‌⁠‌​‌​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

Oh man, I totally get that! I had a pump that decided to take a spin on me too, and I ended up replacing the seals as well. It’s like they have their own little party when they get stuck. Have you tried using a pressure gauge for troubleshooting?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌‌​‌⁠‍​‌⁠‍‍‌⁠‍‍‌‍‍‌‌‍⁠‌‌‌​‍‌‌‍‍‌⁠‍‌‌​‌‍‌​⁠​‌⁠‌‌​⁠‍‌‌⁠​​‌‍‌‌‌​⁠‍​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

I know that feeling! I once had a pump that wouldn’t prime either until I found a clog in the line — so frustrating. It’s wild how a simple blockage can turn a smooth operator into a dancer out of control.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‌​⁠‍​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌​‍‌⁠‌‍‌‍‍‍​⁠‌‌‌‌​⁠‌⁠​‌‌⁠‌‍​⁠​‍‌​‌‍‌‌​‍‌​‌‍‌​⁠‌‌​⁠⁠‌​‌​‌‌‌‍​⁠‌‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

Love that! I’ve had a pump refuse to cooperate until I adjusted its float switch. Ever try that approach?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‍​⁠​​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠‍​‌⁠​‍‌⁠​​​⁠​⁠‌​‍⁠‌‌​‍‌⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‌​​⁠​​‌‌‍​‌‍‌​‌⁠‌‌‌⁠​‍‌⁠​‌‌‍‍​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

You’d think they were practicing for ‘Dancing with the Pumps,’ huh? A proper tune-up can work wonders, but don’t underestimate checking those electrical connections first — they can really throw a wrench in the dance routine. Ever had a pump start doing the moonwalk on you?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍‍‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌⁠​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‌​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​​​⁠‍‌​⁠​‍​⁠​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​⁠​‌‌​‍‌‌‍​‌‌‍‍‌‍‍⁠‌‌‍‍‌‍⁠​‌​⁠‌‌⁠​⁠‌‍⁠‍‌​‌⁠‌‍‍⁠‌‍​‌‌‍‍‍‌⁠‌​​⁠​‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌